In order to survive New York City’s cold and possibly wet upcoming winter weather during your visit, you need to be prepared. Trust me on this, walking around NYC in cold weather will be miserable if you are not wearing the proper clothing. The best way to combat the cold is to layer your clothing. In warmer weather you can always take off your jacket, sweater, or extra shirt. Ensure you pack the following:
10. An umbrella. On the east coast you never know when it might rain. Carry a compact umbrella in your back or jacket packet on those days the forecast calls for rain.
9. Long and short sleeve shirts. Layer these as needed according to the weather. You should always wear a t shirt just in case you get too hot and need to strip down to it.
8. Long johns – thermal underwear. This is the first layer of protection you should wear on those extra cold days.
7. Thick socks. Self explanatory to keep your feet warm and comfortable.
6. A hat and a scarf. Your head produces the majority of the heat produced by your body. Trap it in with a good quality hat and scarf. In a jam you can buy a quality set on many street corners througout Manhattan.