The average price of a movie tickets in New York City is $12.50. Here are some cheap ways to see movies without spending the high prices:
10. New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. 111 Amsterdam Avenue, Lincoln Center, 212-870-1700. Watch free vintage 16mm films at the NY Public Library.
9. SVA Theatre. 333 W 23rd Street, Chelsea, 212-592-2980. The home of many film festivals and film premieres. Emerging filmmakers show their artsy, indie films here. Most are free, but some require tickets. All on a first come, first serve basis.
8. Kew Gardens Cinemas. 81-05 Lefferts Blvd, Queens, 718-441-9835. Tickets are only $6.50 on bargain all day Tuesdays and Thursdays, weekdays before 5 pm, and first shows on weekends. This 1930s Art Deco theater shows top indie films.
7. Sony Wonder Technology Lab. 550 Madison Avenue, Midtown, 212-833-7858. On Saturdays at 2 pm, this educational lab offers free screenings of popular movie hits. It’s free, seats are limited, so we suggest you reserve your tickets early in the week.
6. Rubin Museum. 150 W 17th Street, Chelsea, 212-620-5000. Every Friday night at 9:30 pm, this museum shows a different classic film in a cabaret-style viewing. Showings are free when you have a $7 bar minimum.