There are many beautiful churches and cathedrals in New York City. Here are 10 I recommend on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day:
1. The Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine. 1047 Amsterdam Avenue. One of the most famous churches in New York City and the largest church in the United States. Enjoy this beautiful church on Christmas Eve Mass (Midnight Mass) at 10:30 pm or visit the church on Christmas Day Eucharist at 10:30 am. Remember, this is the most famous church, so it will be crowded!
2. Saint Patrick’s Cathedral. 5th Avenue between 50th and 51st Streets. Another extremely popular and famous NYC church is this 150+ year old cathedral. If you cannot make midnight mass or Christmas day mass, make sure you stop by this historical site.
3. Saint Thomas Church. 1 West 53rd Street at 5th Avenue. Founded at 1823, this episcopal parish church is located in the heard of New York City. Christmas Eve events include a music festival at 10:30 pm and the Eucharist at 11 pm or Christmas day at 11 am. This church holds 1, 850 so seating may be better here than the smaller churches in the city.
4. Saint Paul’s Chapel. 209 Broadway. Visit this site located directly across the street from the World Trade Center site and was an important location during the rescue efforts of Ground Zero. Many other historical events have occurred since the opening of this chapel in 1766. Midnight mass will be held with musical hymns and carols.
5. Church of Saint Paul the Apostle. Columbus Avenue and 60th Street. Enjoy midnight mass or Christmas Day mass at 10 am at this historical Roman Catholic Church.