NYC’s 10 Best Churches for Easter Sunday (10 to 6)
10. John Street Church. 12 West 11th Street, Financial District. Methodist. “The oldest Methodist congregation in America,” founded in 1766. Enjoy Easter at this historic landmark church and museum. Easter Sunday service begins at 11:00 AM.
9. Church of the Ascension. 12 West 11th Street, Greenwich Village. Episcopal, Anglican Church. Founded in 1827 by Reverend Manton Eastburn, a leader of the Evangelical movement. This church is known for it’s architecture, art, and music. A gorgeous church located in the heart of Greenwich Village, at Fifth Avenue and Tenth Street. Call 212-254-8620 for Easter service information.
8. The Church of Saint Mary the Virgin. 145 West 46th Street, Times Square. Episcopal Anglo-Catholic. Located a stones throw from Times Square, this church was one of the largest buildings in the world at the time it was built in the late 1800s. It also was one of the first large structures to have iron framing. Services include magnificent pipe organ music and singing from the choir, a professional ensemble. You will also hear Latin, not English words within the plainchant, like Gregorian chant.
- Easter Eve – April 3 at 7:00 PM
- Easter Day – April 4 at 9:00, 10:00, 11:00 AM
7. 5th Avenue Presbyterian Church. 7 West 55th Street, Midtown. Presbyterian. Another example of Gothic architecture in NYC and a perfect wedding location. The congregation celebrated 200 years of service in 2008. They have been at their current location since the 1870s. A diverse congregation with many activities for men and women in their 20s and 30s. Easter Service at 9:30 and 11:15 AM.
6. St. Paul’s Chapel. 209 Broadway, Downtown. Episcopal. Known for being the closest church to the World Trader Center in Downtown Manhattan. Built in the 1760s, Saint Paul’s Chapel is the oldest public building still used in Manhattan. A quality, rare example of colonial style church architecture. See: NYC’s Top 10 Churches to Visit on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Easter Eve, April 3rd – 8:00 PM
- Easter Day, April 4th – 8:00 and 10:00 AM (10:00 AM service features the Chapel Singers)