New York City’s 10 Best Film Festivals (10 to 6)
Some of these movie festivals include an award ceremony, other movie festivals simply celebrate the art of film by showing movies.
10. The New York Bicycle Film Festival. June 16th to the 20th. See www.bicyclefilmfestival.com/new-york for event details. Celebrating their 10th anniversary, the New York Bicycle Film Festival is the only one of its kind. Riding bikes is filmed and treated as an art form. Films cover BMX, Critical Mass, Track Bikes and more. If it involves bikes and is on film, they will play it.
9. The New York City Horror Film Festival. This festival features horror and science fiction films with an awards ceremony, the most recognized of its kind in the country. Scheduled annually in October near Halloween.
8. Zero Film Festival. Venue and date for 2010 to be announced. Zero celebrates a small niche of independent films where all the films are self financed by the filmmakers. See www.zerofilmfest.com for more details.
7. ACEFEST. Venue TBA. ACEFEST, the American Cinematic Experience Festival, focuses on American made films and filmmakers. See the best the country has to offer on the big screen from backyard productions to studio films. August 20th to the 28th.
6. Bryant Park Summer Film Festival. Bryant Park, Midtown. Come early, bring your blanket, and enjoy the classics on big screen in Bryant Park for free. In 2009, the Bryant Park Summer Film Festival showed 10 movies, a different one every Monday night from June to August. Films begin at dusk and lawn opens at 5 pm. Come early for a good spot. Pack a picnic basket, this is the perfect cheap NYC date spot. Call (212) 512-5700 for more details. See: NYC’s Best Parks & Recreation