Cinco De Mayo, a holiday celebrated in Puebla, Mexico, celebrates the Mexican army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5th, 1862. Before the Battle of Puebla, the French had not lost a battle in 50 years and were fighting an ill-equipped and outnumbered Mexican army.
NYC’s 10 Best Cinco de Mayo Events & Attractions (10 to 6)
10. Pre-Cinco de May Celebration. Garnet Wines & Liquors, 929 Lexington Avenue, between 68th & 69th Streets, Upper East Side. May 1st from 4 pm to 7 pm. Stop in to listen to the 5 piece Mariachi band and have a sip at the tequila tasting. Free giveaways.
9. Gagriela’s Mexican Restaurant. 688 Columbus Avenue between 93rd & 94th Streets, Upper West Side. Do not come here for the food, come here for the drinks. They offer many types of specialty, infused, and premium tequilas with over 30 varieties. One of the best tequila and margarita selections in Manhattan.
8. Soprano Lori McCann and pianist Max Lifchitz. At the auditorium of Christ & St Stephen’s Church, 120 West 69th Street. May 3rd at 8:00 PM. These musicians offer a recital featuring songs by the best composers from Spain, Argentina and Mexico. Free admission.
7. Cinco de Mayo Mexican BBQ Sunday at Flatbush Farm. 76 St. Marks Avenue, Park Slope, Brooklyn. May 2nd. Chefs cook Mexican inspired dishes on the garden patio while entertainment is provided by a live Mariachi band from 4 to 8 PM. This is not any Mariachi band either. Their leader and vocalist ,Veronica Valerio, is also a harpist, an instrument I have never encountered in a Mariachi band. Try their specials for the day, pork tacos and ceviche with blue crab and shrimp.
6. New York Singles Cinco De Mayo Interactive Mexican Cooking Lessons. 532 West 46th Street, between 10th and 11th Avenues. Saturday May 1st, 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm. Learn some basic Mexican meals and meet some new friends or more as you prepare and cook the ingredients. When finished, eat your creations. Lesson price is $59.99, call 1-800-239-0542 for more details.
Related NYC articles and other popular NY articles: