New York City’s 10 Best Bagel Shops
5. Absolute Bagels. 2788 Broadway, between 107th & 108th Street, Upper West Side. Not only does Absolute Bagels have some of the best bagels in NYC, they have a tofu based spread to use as a healthier alternative to cream cheese. This shop is small so don’t expect much room if you are eating inside.
4. The Bagel Hole. 400 7th Avenue, Slope Park, Brooklyn. Many New York bagel connoisseurs claim Brooklyn is the true home to the best New York City bagels. One name constantly mentioned is The Bagel Hole because they boil their bagels like they have been traditionally made instead of many new shops who steam bagels to make them fluffy. Therefore they are smaller sized bagels with a denser chewy middle and crisp outer crust. Bagel perfection. Wait for a fresh batch of bagels to come out before you order for the best tasting bagel.
3. Ess-A-Bagel. 2 Locations: 831 3rd Avenue, Midtown East and 359 1st Avenue, Gramercy. Hand rolled bagels served here since 1976. Giant menu serving bagels with a variety of options. Try one of their well known salad sandwiches.
2. Murray’s Bagels. 2 Locations: 500 Avenue of the Americas, Greenwich Village and 242 8th Avenue, Chelsea. Lines at Murray’s Bagels are always long on the weekends but move quickly. Real bagels are served fresh and warm like at Murray’s, and never toasted. Large menu with many bagel toppings and sandwiches available.
1. H&H Bagels. 2239 Broadway, Upper West Side. H&H Bagels might just be the king of NYC bagels. These bagels have the perfect texture and size. No frills with the bagel toppings here. The toppings here are not great, they won’t cut, or toast your bagel. It is best to get a box of bagels to take to work or home for breakfast. Then you can buy your own cream cheese, spread, or toppings elsewhere. Lines can be long, be prepared to wait. If you need some high quality groceries, or want to look around for another type of spread, Zabar’s is across the street.
See more food and breakfast articles: