10 Best Dive Bars in the East Village & LES
10. The Library. 7 Avenue A between 1st and 2nd. Good place to go solo, lots of eccentric and chatty neighborhood types.
9. The Skinny. 174 Orchard between Houston and Stanton. Like Darkroom, lots of stragglers here late night on weekends looking to hook up.
8. Darkroom. 165 Ludlow between Houston and Stanton. That rare dive bar with a dance floor. Thursday nights are always good here. Lots of singles looking to take someone home, especially late night. Any kind of game will get you laid here.
7. Iggy’s. 132 Ludlow between Stanton and Rivington. Cheap cheap cheap–PBR and a shot for 5 bucks during happy hour (and other times too, when the bartender feels like it). Hot bartenders, if you like tattoos and tank tops.
6. Essex Ale House (CLOSED). 179 Essex Street near the corner with Houston. Beer and wine only, no liquor. Lots of stuff in cans, including 9 bucks for a tall of Tecate (don’t feel like a chump about paying 9 smackers–buy two or so and the bartender will usually feel bad for you and hook you up with a free one). Obscure punk and related genres on the jukebox.