Moderately priced sushi restaurants in New York City (cont.)
5. Japonica. 100 University Place at 12th Street. Usually a wait here, and not overly creative, but very reliable and a good value for the neighborhood.
4. Kanoyama. 175 Second Avenue at 11th Street. Not exactly cheap, but the omakase is one of the best. Lots of fish here that you won’t find at many other sushi places (butter fish and golden eye snapper, among others).
3. Umi Sushi. 118 E. 31st between Lexington and Park. No, this ain’t Masa, but the lunch special here is probably the best value on this list.
2. Tenzan. 285 Columbus between 73rd and 74th. Enormous pieces of fish, excellent service. Get a table upstairs in the window.
1. Takahachi. 85 Avenue A between 6th and 7th. Unlike other sushi joints in this neighborhood, only Japanese dudes behind the sushi bar here. Superb.