10 Best Mexican Restaurants in NYC
10. Cafe Ollin. 339 East 108th Street, East Harlem. A charming, cozy restaurant between 1st and 2nd Avenue. This authentic Mexican/Pueblan restaurant is ultra casual, great food and low prices! Recommend the cemitas – Pueblan sandwiches with your choice of meat, lettuce, tomato, onion, chipotle, papalo, oaxacan cheese, avocado and beans.
9. Cafe El Portal. 174 Elizabeth Street, border of SoHo and Little Italy. Small Mexican restaurant ideal for small parties or a romantic dinner. The menu has plenty to choice from and the food gets devoured quickly. The food is authentic with plenty of spices and fresh ingredients. There are no recommendations as all the food is great here. Even your Southern California and Mexican friends will love it!
8. Matilda. 647 E 11st Street, East Village. This small restaurant in East Village mixes Mexican cuisine with Italian. The Mexican/Italian fusion compliment one another, and I don’t know of any other place that has thought of this mixture. This unique menu artistically mixes the styles into extravagant and wonderful entrees. A unique gem!
7. Barrio Chino. 253 Broome Street, Lower East Side. Fun, cheap Texan-Mexican bar and restaurant in LES. As one would expect, this place gets crowded and loud, but the margaritas and tacos are great and the place is enjoyable. Great spot any night.
6. Sueños. 311 W 17th Street, Chelsea. Sit down, eat the complimentary black bean dip with corn bread and browse through the drink and dinner menu. You can find all your favorite traditional Mexican dishes from quesadillas, tacos and enchiladas. Try the passion fruit margaritas immediately and the churros for dessert! Outstanding, charming and excellent service.
Read our other articles on NYC Restaurants and Food.